How Do I Get a Copy of My Decree Absolute?

You should have received from the Court a copy of your Decree Absolute at the time you were divorced.   If you have not received this you should check whether the Decree Absolute has actually been issued.

What is a Decree Absolute?

This is the Certificate that will evidence your previous marriage has finally been dissolved. This can be obtained from the Court by the person who filed the Petition for Divorce (known as the Petitioner) six weeks and a day after the pronouncement of the Decree Nisi.

If you have not received the Certificate of Decree Absolute it may be that the Petitioner has not applied to the Court for this. The other party to the divorce, i.e. the Respondent can apply to the court three months after the six week period for the final certificate to be produced and so dissolve the marriage.

Why do I need a copy of my Decree Absolute?

In the first place you should have this certificate so that you know for sure the divorce has been finalised.

Secondly you will need to produce the Decree Absolute if you wish to re-marry at any time in the future. Generally a photo-copy will not be sufficient.

How do I get a replacement copy of my Decree Absolute?

  • You should contact the Court that dealt with the Divorce proceedings and request a copy. If you can provide the case number you should include this with your application and the fee will be £10.00.
  • If you don’t know the case number you should provide the full names of you and your former spouse. The fee will then be £45.00.
  • If you do not know which court dealt with your divorce you can ask the Central Family Court to search for the Decree Absolute and the fee for that is £65.00.

The Central Family Court is based at:

  • Central Family Court First Avenue House 42 – 49 High Holborn London WC1V 6NP
  • Any cheque should be made payable to HMCTS.

For more information or assistance please call one of our solicitors at Bevan Evemy Solicitors on 0333 320 8600 to discuss our Fixed Fee  divorce package.  For information on other matters related we can also assist with finance and children issues.